GT Insurance Blog

Insurance problems and cures

Will FEMA help homeowners with water in the basement?

leave a comment »

Someone searched that question. Basic answer, no. If you are in a Federal disaster area, you may qualify for loans (Note LOANS) to deal with damage. But you need flood insurance or backup of sewers & drains insurance (depending on the circumstances) to be paid for the damage. And start with a pump, which is very unlikely to come from FEMA.

A flood, according to the NFIP, is surface water affecting two or more acres or two or more contiguous properties.  At the moment, most of the Northeast qualifies.

Here’s the direct quote from FEMA/NFIP:


  • A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from:
    –Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or
    –Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or
  • Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.

For questions call GBW Insurance at 1-800-548-2329

Written by gbwinsurance

March 18, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: